I have to admit that I’ve never been a fan of apple cake until the moment that I decided to move to Norway with my family, in 2008. The recipe of the following apple cake was given to me by one of my daughter’s Norwegian teachers. At the time my daughter Margherita was attending primary school and when I picked her up in the afternoon, the school was often invaded by the scent of the cake that the kids had been baking proudly. When we want to bring back the sweet memories of the years spent in Norway, we always prepare this cake, filling our kitchen with the fragrance of the past. (Francesca)
🍷 Francesca & Marinella🍴
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE Cinnamon Apple Cake
INGREDIENTS for 6/8 servings
Ready in 45-60. Preparation Time 15-20 min Cooking Time 30 -35 min
- 2,5 dl flour
- 1,5 dl sugar
- 125 g (1/2 cup) cold butter, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 medium-size apples
- a pinch of salt
To sprinkle the top of the cake: 4 tsp sugar + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
HOW TO MAKE
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, butter (or margarine), and a pinch of salt. With your fingertips, knead all the ingredients obtaining a crumbly batter. Combine the eggs and mix with a wooden spoon, until the eggs are well incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease and line an 20 cm round cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
- Peel the apple, and cut the apple in half through the core. Cut each half in half. Cut out the core from each quarter. Then slice each quarter into thin slices.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin. Arrange the apple slices in an outer circle on top of the cake. Then fill in the center with as many slices as you can fit into it. The slices should cover the cake entirely.
- Mix 4 tsp of sugar with 1 tsp of ground cinnamon (or more if you like a stronger taste of cinnamon). Sprinkle it over the cake.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- We love to serve this cake warm, with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream or with vanilla sauce.