This sweet potato cream is so filling and it makes a lovely vegetarian main dish. Serve this hearty soup with Cointreau caramelized onions to add complexity to the sweet flavor of the potatoes. Your guest surely will be impressed by this combination!
INGREDIENTS for 4 servings
Cooking Time: 40 min
- 500 g peeled, diced sweet potatoes
- ca. 500 ml hot water, or veggie broth
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 4 tbsp EVO oil
- salt pepper, to taste
For caramelized onions:
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 1/4 glass Cointreau Liquor
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- Clean the onions removing the ends, and the hardest outer layers. Divide them in half, then thinly slice them.
- To prepare the cream
- In a medium size pot, brown half part of one onion with the oil for a few minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, mixing constantly. Pour the broth or hot water in. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, mix everything evenly until it becomes creamy. If it is too thick add a bit of warm water or broth and combine well. If the consistency is too liquid let it thicken on the heat for a few minutes. Keep stirring.
- To prepare the caramelized onions,
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat. Pour 2 tbsp of EVO oil in, and then add the restart part of sliced onions.With a wooden spoon stir to coat them well with the oil.
- Lower the heat, cover with a lid and let cook for about 10 min. Add salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and a bit of water if the onions get dry. Let cook for about 20 min stirring every now and then. Let them brown but not burn. Increase the heat. Add 1/4 glass of Cointreau Liquor and let it evaporate.
- Divide the cream in 4 small bowls, drizzle with oil, add some onions and serve warm.