The quite mild flavor of this winter cabbage gives its best when it is stuffed and either sautéed or baked.
The filling of these rolls is very rich: Mortadella, Eggs, Minced Veal Meat, Parmigiano Reggiano, Stale Bread soaked in Milk, and Salt and Pepper. Is it scrumptious enough?
Tips: If you can’t find Savoy Cabbage easily in your country, you can make these rolls with Napa or Chinese Cabbage.
|TOTAL TIME: |
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- 100g (3.5 oz) Mortadella
- 150 g (5 oz) Minced Veal Meat
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- about 150 g (6 oz) stale bread or breadcrumbs
- milk or water, enough to soak the bread
- 3 tbsp EVO oil
- Soak the bread in the milk, or water. Squeeze well when the bread is soft. Crumble it and transfer in a bowl.
- Oil a frying pan and place on medium heat. Add the minced meat. Crumble with a fork, season with salt, and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook for 10-15 minutes. Leave aside to cool.
- In the meantime, cut 1/2 inch off the head of cabbage and take the leaves (not the ones that are too green and hard).
- Place them on top of each other without squeezing inside a steamer. Then cover with a lid and steam for about 10 min until they become tender.
- Drain and peel off the leaves and set aside to cool.
- Cut Mortadella in small pieces.
- Add all the ingredients into the bowl with bread. Mix well all the ingredients with a spoon. Spread out a cabbage leaf (cut off any tough stems), add 1 tablespoon of the filling, close to create a small bundle. If necessary seal with a toothpick.
- Proceed in this way for all the leaves. Grease with oil a baking dish with high sides.
- Place the rolls on the baking dish and drizzle with EVO oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a static oven at 180°C for 20 min. Switch the grill on and let cook for 5-10 min more.