Transport yourself to the charming streets of Tuscany, or Abruzzo, where these irresistible peach-shaped cookies are originally from. With a delicate and buttery texture, each bite is filled with a luscious custard and infused with the exotic flavors of Alchermes liqueur. These delicious treats are not only a feast for the taste buds but also a work of art, perfect for adding a touch of elegance to any occasion.
|SERVINGS: 15-20 peaches|
|Preparation time: 40 min||Cooking time: 1 h|
|Resting time: 2 h||Total time: 3h 40 min|
INGREDIENTS for 15-20 peaches
- 500 gr all-purpose flour
- 170 gr sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 gr butter at room temperature
- 16 gr baking powder
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
Custard for the filling:
- 250 ml milk
- 60 gr sugar
- 30 gr flour
- 2 yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- zest of half a lemon
For assembling peaches:
- 1 cup Alchermes liqueur (if you don’t find this liqueur you can use strawberry juice)
- 1 cup caster sugar
Prepare the custard:
- Place the milk and lemon zest over medium heat. Cook until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl until well combined. Pour hot milk mixture over egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return mixture to saucepan over low heat. Cook, while stirring steadily in the same direction until the custard thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon (do not allow custard to boil, as it might curdle).
- Pour the custard into a jug or bowl, cover the surface with cling film and leave to cool.
Make the dough for the biscuits:
- Whisk the butter with sugar until soft, add the eggs one at a time. Then add the flour mixed with baking powder and lemon zest and mix very well. Add the milk and combine all of them.
- Make a soft dough and with your palms roll a piece of dough to make a round ball (the size like a walnut). Place balls on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C. Bake the cookies for 15 min or until the cookies are lightly browned. While the cookies are still warm cut a circle on the bottom of every cookie to fill with lemon custard (see the pictures below).
- Place the Alchermes liqueur in a bowl and fill another bowl with sugar.
- Dip the cookies into the liqueur, then roll them in the sugar.
- Fill each cookie with 1 teaspoon lemon custard filling. Sandwich two cookies together so that the filling comes just to the edge, taking care not to crack them.
Leave a Reply