These big biscuits are the perfect accompaniment for a healthy breakfast. The use of genuine ingredients and a few leavening steps make these breakfast biscuits very digestible. We paired them with a delicious frothy cappuccino, but fell free to use any vegan alternative to dip them into.
|Preparation/Leavening Time: |
6 hours 30 min
|Baking Time: |
1 h 15 min
|TOTAL TIME: |
7 h 45 min
- 1kg (6 + 1/4 cup) spelt flour, (or flour type 0)
- 250g (9oz)natural yeast, refreshed (or 12g fresh yeast)
- 480g (17oz) water (or 550g – 19oz- if you use the fresh yeast)
- 10g (0.35oz) salt
- 200g (1/2 + 1/3 cup) sugar
- 200g (1/2 + 1/3 cup) butter
- 100g (3.5oz) chopped almonds
- milk to brush
- In a bowl, pour the flour, the natural yeast, three quarter of the water and the sugar.
- With a spoon, or with a stand mixer equipped with the dough hook, mix the ingredients. Add the salt and the remaining water when the dough is forming.
- Knead the dough until smooth. Then add the butter and knead until the butter is completely absorbed. Add the chopped almonds and knead.
- Cover the bowl with cling film. Let the dough rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
- After two hours, perform two coil folds, following these steps:
- Gently loosen the edges of the dough by pulling it away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place your fingertips under the dough, so that you can pick it up in the middle.
- Allow the dough to fall using its own weight, while you support the middle.
- Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat so you will perform 2 coil folds.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and let it rise for two hours in the fridge.
- While the dough is still cold, divide it in two and form two logs. Place the logs on a baking tray with baking paper. Brush with milk and let rise until they have doubled in size (max 2 hours).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Allow the logs cool, and then cut them into 1-2cm thick slices and lay them down on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven (150 °C) for 30 minutes: 15 minutes with the oven closed and 15 minutes keeping the oven door slightly open.