In one word: Pure satisfaction!
Preparing this COUNTRY SOURDOUGH BREAD 🥯 is definitely time consuming but if you get to bake it you’ll feel satisfied and proud of yourself for the whole day! 🤩.
For Everyone Anywhere in the World
|SERVINGS: 1 bread|
|Preparation Time: |
7 h 30 min
|Baking Time: |
|TOTAL TIME: |
8 h 15 min
- 240g (2 cup) bread flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
- 60g (~ 2 oz) natural yeast (here how to make it), refreshed, or 5g ( ~0.18oz) fresh yeast
- 210g (~ 7.4 oz) water
- 6g (~ 0.2 oz) salt
- Combine roughly the bread flour and the whole wheat flour with water, and let it rest to autolyse for one hour.
- Mix in the natural yeast and knead with a stand mixer until obtaining a smooth dough. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in the salt, knead and rest for other 10-15 minutes.
- Perform the stretch and fold in the bowl (*), and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Then repeat it for 2 more times, to allow the gluten to develop.
- Put the dough into a greased container for bulk proof. If the dough loses strength and spreads wider in the container, perform a coil fold (**), to further develop dough strength. Perform a coil fold every 45 minutes for 2-3 times. Let the dough rest after the last coil fold for at least one hour.
- When the dough has increased in size about 40-50 % (it may require 3-4 hours in total), tip it out on a work surface dusted with flour.
- Pre-shape the dough (***) and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Shape the dough (****) and place it in a proofing basket (seam side up).
- Allow the dough proof at room temperature for 15-20 minutes. Place the dough in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven with the Dutch oven lid inside at 250°C for about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, tip it out on a lightly floured work surface, and score the dough as you wish with a sharp knife or a razor blade.
- Bake at 250°C for the first 20 minutes, with the Dutch oven lid on.
- Lower the temperature to 230°C and bake for another 20 minutes without the lid.