This 3-layer luscious fruit cake will be the talking point of your next Christmas party. As it takes a little experience to slice it evenly, start practicing already by following our instructions below. To decorate it, choose as much fruit as possible, with colours that remind of the Christmas feast. Don’t forget to be generous with the whipped cream and the icing sugar.
|Preparation Time: 45 min|
|TOTAL TIME: |
1 h 15 min
|Baking Time: 30 min|
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 150 g (3/4cup) sugar
- 150 g (1 cup) all purpose flour
- butter and flour to grease the tin
For the filling
- 250 ml (1 cup) whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- icing sugar
- 250 g (1 1/2 cup) fresh fruit (berries and grapes)
- 200 ml (13 tbsp) milk
- 1 tbs sugar
- The use of a mixer (like a Kitchen Aid) is very important to make this recipe. Place the eggs and sugar in the mixer bowl and beat until the cream becomes stiff and light yellow (around 15 min).
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C. Sift the flour and slowly incorporate it into the eggs mixture with a mixing spoon going up to down.
- Butter and flour a 24 cm diameter cake pan, pour the dough in it and bake for 30 min or until a toothpick, inserted in the center of the cake, comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven. Cool the cake for at least 5 minutes.
- Then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely upside down. This will help the cake to have a regular surface’s shape. When completely cool, cut the cake horizontally to form 3 thin layers (see the instructions below on how to slice the cake).
- Whip the cream until it holds its shape.
- Prepare the syrup mixing the sugar into the milk until dissolved. Moisten the first layer with half of the prepared syrup, using a pastry brush or a spray bottle.
- Spread half of the strawberry jam on the first layer and pour one third of the whipped cream.
- Place sliced strawberries, grapes and berries on top of the whipped cream.
- Place the second layer on top of the first one, moisten with the syrup, spread the jam, one third of the cream and scatter the berries.
- Finish the cake placing the third layer. Press very lightly to sandwich everything together.
- Dust with icing sugar and spread on top of the cake the remaining whipped cream. Garnish with berries.