The Pasta e Patate recipe reminds us that the Italian plain cooking can still be good even when using simple and low-cost ingredients. This budget-friendly recipe can be enriched in flavour by adding a rind of Parmigiano Reggiano into the pot allowing it to simmer alongside the ingredients. So don’t throw out the rind of the cheese, there is still a lot you can do with it!
PASTA e PATATE
|Cooking Time: 40 min||Preparation Time: 10 min|
|TOTAL TIME: |
- 200g short pasta
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced in small pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced in small pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons of EVO oil
- 1 medium size stalk of celery, cut in thin slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot water, or broth, as needed (see below)
- a rind of Parmigiano Reggiano
- fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- EVO oil
- In a pot (big enough to contain the pasta) warm 3 tbsp of EVO oil on medium heat. Add the carrots, onion and celery.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and let brown for 4-5 min. Keep stirring. Season with salt.
- Add potatoes, mix well and let brown for a few minutes.
- Pour hot water (until the veggies are almost totally covered), or broth, and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat, cover with a lid and let cook for about 10-15 min, or until the vegetables are softened.
- All along the process check the soup and add a bit of water if needed.
- Add the Parmigiano Reggiano rind to the pot and allow it to cook alongside the ingredients.
- Add a cup of hot water, let it bring a boil and then pour the pasta into the pot. Mix and let cook without lid on medium-heat for about 10 min (until the pasta is ready).
- If the pasta e patate is still liquid turn the heat high for a few minutes.
- Serve the soup hot with a dust of pepper and fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano. to taste.