Pappa al Pomodoro
|Preparation Time: 5 min||Cooking Time: 40 min|
|TOTAL TIME: 45 min|
- 1 kg red ripe tomatoes
- 400 – 500 g stale bread
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- Hot water or broth
- An handful of Basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4-6 tbsp EVO oil
- 1 Mozzarella
- EVO oil to drizzle
- Chilli pepper, to taste
- Wash the tomatoes under running water. Remove the stems and cut a shallow “X” at the bottom of each tomato. Fill a big pot with water and bring to a boil. Then drop the tomatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 2-3 minutes. With a skimmer pull them off and let them dry in a colander.
- Remove the skin and the seeds from the tomatoes.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Place a middle size saucepan on the heat, warm up and then add EVO oil, crashed garlic and chilli.
- Let sauté for a few minutes, remove the garlic, and add the tomato pulp and basil leaves. Season with salt and cook for about 15 ‘- 20’.
- Cut the bread in small pieces, put them into the tomatoes sauce and mix carefully. Pour in about 1 glass of hot water or broth, cover and let cook for about 20 minutes. The soup has to become thick, creamy and homogeneous. Add more water if it gets too thick.
- Turn off the heat, add salt if needed and leave to rest for about 1 hour.
- Cube the mozzarella. Place it in a jar and with an immersion blender mix it pouring EVO oil (about 2 tbsp) until obtaining a creamy consistency. If desired add 1-2 leaves of basil.
- Serve the tomato soup with a dollop, or more, of the mozzarella cream and a final drizzle of oil and pepper.
OUR WINE – PAIRING TIP:
Podere San Giacomo Rosso di Montalcino DOC 2017 100% Sangiovese Grosso it is obtained from grapes strictly selected for grape harvest.