A few days ago, when I was checking my fridge to decide what to prepare for dinner, I realised I still had a full pack of 6 eggs that were about to expire. So I took the chance to prepare the Ovis Mollis (a latin name that means soft egg), as it had been a long time since I wanted to try a recipe that Michele, an Italian friend living in Norway, made me taste. These biscuits are different from others as they are prepared with hard egg yolks… yes, you read correctly! The hard yolk makes them so heavenly, crumbly, and soft that you don’t want to stop eating them.
Ovis Mollis Biscuits
|Preparation Time: 15 min||Cooking Time: 20 min|
|TOTAL TIME: |
- 200 g (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 200 g (3/4 cup) butter
- 100 g potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 100 g (3/4 cup) icing sugar
- 6 hard-boiled egg yolks
- zest of 1 lemon
- a pinch of salt
- Prepare the hard-boiled eggs. Place 6 eggs in the bottom of a saucepan. Fill the pan with cold water, covering the eggs. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 12 minutes. Then remove the eggs from the hot water and immerse gently into a prepared ice water to cool, about 10 minutes.
- When cold, peel them, and separate the egg yolks. Crumble the egg yolks with a fork.
- Put the egg yolks in a bowl and add the potato starch, flour, icing sugar, softened butter, grated lemon zest and salt. Knead quickly until obtaining a soft and smooth dough. If the dough is too moist, add a little of flour.
- Wrap the dough with the cling film and let it rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to about 0,5-0,6 cm thick. With the aid of a cutter, cut out the cookies.
- Place the biscuits over a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 180 C for about 15-20 min. They don’t need to get brown. Once cooled, sprinkle with icing sugar.
Tips: Make these biscuits when you have some hard boiled eggs leftover or when your eggs are about to expire.
I have never heard of anything like this recipe. It is so exciting to learn something completely new.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you bernlag! We are very glad that you like our new recipe !