What is a glorious match!?! A warm Piadina Romagnola filled with some slices of tasty Prosciutto Crudo, creamy and melted Squacquerone Cheese and Arugula paired with a Glass of Sangiovese Red Wine.
Even if it is not easy to find some of these ingredients outside of Italy, let’s treat yourself making Piadina Romagnola from scratch (quick and easy recipe below), and then fill it with what you prefer most and enjoy!
High acidity and moderate alcohol make Sangiovese a very food-friendly red wine. In specific, “E be di Smembar” Sangiovese Superiore brings to mind ripe berries, like raspberries, as well as the purple-leaf plum. It is fresh to the palate, with good minerality and sweet tannins.
It is an Organic Wine produced in a small, passionate, and family-owned wine producer located in a hilly terrain a few hundred meters high southwest of Cesena (Center of Italy – Emilia Romagna Region).
INGREDIENTS for 4 Piadine
Ready in 35 min – Preparation: 20 min Cooking Time: 15 min
- 400 g flour
- 200 ml water at room temperature
- 5 g salt
- 1/2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda, optional
- 50 ml EVO oil
- In a stand-mixer’s bowl add the flour, make a hole in the middle and pour the warm water and the oil. Add salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Fit the dough hook to your stand-mixer and knead until you have a nice soft dough, about 2 min.
- Alternatively, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, salt, and bicarbonate. Make a hole in the middle and slowly add oil and water, while kneading, until well combined.
- Then on a floured flat surface, knead until forming a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. With a rolling pin, roll them out thinly to form a 20- 25 cm diameter disk.
- In the meantime, on high heat, warm a griddle or no – stick cast iron skillet. When it is hot, gently lay the first piadina on it. Lower the heat. When the bubbles start to form on the surface, turn the piadina very carefully and cook on the other side for a few seconds, until lightly golden.
- Stuff the piadina with
- 1) Mozzarella, tomato and lettuce leaves –
- 2) Prosciutto Crudo, lettuce leaves and Stracchino cheese
- 3) whatever you prefer best. 🙂