A slice of heaven to get at the breakfast table, for an afternoon tea or to serve at the end of a meal. This Crostata is a perfect blend of sweetness and healthy products, as it is prepared with intensely flavored orange marmalade and mixed nuts. The marmalade we got to try (thanks to Delizie del Gusto) was like a home-made marmalade, not overly sweet but intense in flavor, and with a lovely rough texture.
If you decide to serve a slice of our scented crostata at the end of your meal, offer your guests a sip of a chilled Brachetto d’Acqui DOCG – Valle delle Rose sweet red wine. This is made from Brachetto grapes, grown & picked low yielding vineyards around Acqui in Piemonte, close to Alessandria. It has wonderful mouth-filling flavors of ripe red fruits, rose and citrus peel notes, which pairs perfectly with desserts and fruit.
*This wine is imported to Denmark by Vinimondo.dk, a wine wholesaler that works with some of the best wine suppliers in Italy, Portugal, France and Spain. Drop by the new Vinimondo.dk showroom to taste or buy this Brachetto d’Acqui DOCG – Valle delle Rose.
INGREDIENTS for 6/8 servings
Ready in 1 1/2 h
For the Pasta Frolla:
- 200 g flour (1 3/4 cup)
- 80 g (3/4 cup) icing sugar
- 120 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 g honey (1/2 tbsp)
- pinch of salt
- 1 organic orange zest
For the filling:
10-15 tbsp orange marmelade
- 200 g (1,5 cups) mixed nuts (hazelnuts, pecan, macadamia, almonds, pistachios…)
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl and stir well to mix. Add butter, cut it into little pieces, and rub mixture between the palm of your hands until it forms fine crumbs. Add the egg yolks, the honey and the zest of an orange. Knead to form a smooth dough. Form the dough into a ball. Wrap the dough in a plastic and let it chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 165°C. Grease a 22 cm round shallow baking tin with a little butter and flour.
- When the dough is ready to use, on a flowered work surface, roll it out until it is 0.5 cm thick and large enough to line the prepared tin, ensuring the base and sides are completely covered. Then spread the orange marmelade and arrange the nuts according to your creativity.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the pastry is golden.