This French-influenced Neapolitan Savoury Potato cake was subsequently rendered in Italian as Gatto’. This is considered an informal dish to be served warm and sometimes accompanied by a slice of pizza, just to make the meal more Italian :-). Our version is just made with mozzarella cheese and the ubiquitous Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, but you can enriched it by adding ham or a mature cheese of your choice.
Don’t forget to go sustainable. Take a look at https://eatgrim.com to learn how to do it.
INGREDIENTS for 4-6 servings
Ready in 1h and 20 min: Preparation 20 min – Cooking 20 min – Baking 40 min
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 knob of butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 glass of milk
- 300 g mozzarella, cut into pieces
- 50g (+2 tbsp to top the cake) freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
- a handful of bread crumbs salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a pot with salted water. Place the potatoes into it and cook on a medium heat until the potatoes are soft (check with a fork). As soon as the potatoes are cooked, peel them and mash them.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a large bowl. Add the eggs, the Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese, salt and pepper and mix well. Pour the milk a little at a time, checking the consistency (the dough must be firm).
- Then add the mozzarella and mix all the ingredients very well.
- Butter a round ovenproof dish (about 20 cm diameter), sprinkle with a light layer of breadcrumbs and blow off the surplus. Spread the mixture trying to level it as much as possible.
- Top with breadcrumbs, a little grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese, and some butter curls.
- Bake the Gateau at 180°C for about 40 minutes, until the top is slightly browned.
- Serve the potato Gateau warm.