The crunchiness of the fried bread and the sapidity of the pancetta, tempered with the tenderness of a sweet cauliflower, makes this Apulian version of “Pasta con i Cavoli“ perfect.
INGREDIENTS for 4 servings:
Cooks in 35 min: Preparation 15 min – Cooking 20 min
- 320 g Maccheroncini Pasta ( we used Chilometro 5 Pasta)
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 100-150 g smoked pancetta or bacon
- Salt, extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground pepper
- 60 g brown bread, diced
- pecorino cheese, to taste
- Clean the cauliflower well, removing the outer leaves and the hard core. The florets must be separated in order to become very small (3-4 cm). Then place the cauliflower in a pot, big enough to cook the pasta. Add salted water and bring to a rolling boil, over high heat.
- Cut the pancetta into cubes of about 1 cm, place in a large frying pan and spread the pancetta in a single layer.
- Add the diced bread and 4-5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Toast, stirring occasionally, until crunchy and slightly brown over medium – high heat. Be careful to not allow them to burn.
- Once the water with cauliflower is boiling, pour the pasta and return to boil. Let them cook uncovered, stirring occasionally (check the cooking time on the pasta package) Drain the cauliflower and the pasta and pour them into the frying pan with the pancetta and the chopped bread. Mix gently until well combined. Add pepper and grated pecorino cheese to taste.
This pasta from Chilometro Cinque is made with high quality cereals, cultivated and stone – ground in an old mill in Vicenza, Veneto region. Its texture is perfectly combined with the ingredients of this dish.
Leave a Reply