This week’s wine is a Prosecco white wine produced from the Glera grapes in the wonderful hillside vineyards of Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia (Northeastern Italian regions). Within the vast area of DOC Prosecco, including nine provinces between Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia, there is the historic area of the Province of Treviso where La Gioiosa has its headquarters and has been producing its wines since generations.
This sparkling wine is a good pairing either for an appetizer or to accompany a dinner. We tried it paired with a Cream of Asparagus and Poached Egg. We hope that you’ll also enjoy the creaminess of this delicate soup-er dish enhanced by the freshness of this lovely Prosecco. Cin Cin! 🍷
*This wine is imported to Denmark by Vinimondo.dk, a wine wholesaler that works with some of the best wine suppliers in Italy, Portugal, France and Spain.
In Denmark you can buy this Prosecco La Gioiosa here: Nemlig
INGREDIENTS for 4 servings:
- 500 g asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g peeled almonds
- 130 g milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 3-4 slices of bread, diced
- extra vergine olive oil
- Trim off the tips (you’ll use them for garnishing), then cut the remaining spears in half. Bring a pot with water to boil, while is boiling add the spears in and salt, to taste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Using kitchen tongs, take the asparagus out of the pot, and reserve the cooking water. Puree the asparagus in a blender until completely smooth.
- Cook the asparagus tips in the reserved cooking water for about 3 minutes. Then gently drain into a colander and set aside.
- In a blender, mix almonds and milk for few minutes. Add a pinch of salt. Sift the almond – milk through a strainer and keep aside.
- Transfer the diced bread into a frying pan, add one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix evenly and toast the bread until golden brown.
- Prepare the poached egg. Fill a small saucepan about ⅔ full with water and bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature. Add one tablespoon vinegar to the water. Crack one egg into a small cup, with a wood spoon swirling a vortex in the water and gently lower the egg into it. Poach the egg for about 3 minutes spooning the simmering water over the egg. When the egg white becomes firm, using a slotted spoon, remove it from the water. Repeat for all of eggs. Lay them gently on a paper towel to dry.
- Pour the asparagus puree in 4 soup plates. Season with almond – milk.
- Place gently one poached egg on each plate. Serve topped with asparagus tips and the bread crumbs. Drizzle with olive oil and a dash of pepper, to taste.