The Lupi Reali Appassimento is a Montepulciano-based red wine from the Italian region Abruzzo. The use of the appassimento process creates a wonderfully pleasing fruity wine with elements of dark cherries, spices and herbs. The aftertaste brings elements of ripe grape sweetness.
This wine is often served with potato-based dishes and pizzas but it also perfectly matches with different combinations of pasta.
We prepared a potato focaccia to better savour this wine and enhance its characteristics. You should believe us when we say that this was a rather apt combination!
This wine is imported to Denmark from Vinimondo.dk, a wine wholesaler that works with some of the best wine suppliers in Italy, Portugal, France and Spain.
INGREDIENTS for 6-8 servings (for a 40×25 cm baking pan)
For the dough
- 500g Manitoba flour
- 3.5g dried yeast
- 350g water
- 20g extra virgin olive oil
- 10g salt
For focaccia topping
- 4- 5 medium size potatoes
- 1 fresh mozzarella
- torn up extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the dough: pour the ingredients all together in a bowl and mix, preferably with a stand mixer, until obtaining a smooth and sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough into a big and oiled bowl (the dough will double) and brush the top with a little oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours.
- Using a mandoline slicer or food processor, slice the peeled, washed and dried potatoes, very thinly and place in a bowl. Add 3 tbs olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Mix well until the potatoes are evenly coated with oil.
- Preheat the oven to 230˚C.
- Oil the rectangular baking pan with extra virgin olive oil. Pour the dough in the pan, using your fingers to spread it. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil and rub it over the surface.
- Scatter the mozzarella over the focaccia and start layering the potato slices, overlapping the slices slightly until all the dough is covered. Sprinkle with some oregano.
- Place focaccia on the lowest rack of the oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, move the pizza in the middle rack and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply