This week we wanted to make a sweet treat and we started thinking about what is served in Italy in summer time. We both came to the conclusion that Custard Puff Pastries are a very popular choice from the North to the South of Italy.
These pastries are easy to make and they will add an elegant Italian touch to your meal. The lemony flavour of the custard will surprise you with a fresh taste. Enjoy!
🍷 Francesca & Marinella🍴
RECIPE: Custard Puff Pastry with Berries
|Preparation Time: 10 min||Cooking Time: 20/25 min|
|TOTAL TIME: 30/35 min|
- 1 ready-made puff pastry sheet
- For the Lemon Custard:
- 250 ml (1 cups) milk
- 2 yolks
- 65 g (2.5 oz – 1/3 cup) sugar
- 35 g (1.1 oz – 1/2 cup) flour
- zest of ½ lemon (medium size)
- a handful of pistachios, coarsely minced
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 ºC.
- Slightly grease a baking tin with butter. Cut eight rounds of puff pastry using a round cutter (∅ 8-9 cm). Brush each round with water and sprinkle with sugar. Place the rounds onto the baking tin and cover with baking paper. Place another baking tin over the top to prevent the puff pastry from rising. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden. Let them cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the custard.
Place the milk and lemon zest over medium heat. Cook until hot (do not allow to boil). Remove saucepan from heat. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl until well combined. Pour the hot milk mixture over the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
Return the mixture to the saucepan over low heat. Cook, while stirring steadily in the same direction, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a metal spoon. Do not allow custard to boil, as it might curdle. Pour the custard into a bowl, cover the surface with cling film and leave to cool.
- Fill a pastry bag with the custard and pipe it onto a round of puff pastry. Decorate with fresh berries and cover with a second round. Decorate the top with more custard, berries and a sprinkle of pistachios.