This gnocchi all sorrentina dish embodies 3 typical flavours of Campania region – Southern Italy: tomatoes. mozzarella fior di latte and basil.
If you happen to be in Campania region or even better in the beautiful coastal town of Sorrento, where the dish is originally from, don’t forget to try this dish and enjoy the taste of Southern Italy.
INGREDIENTS for 4 servings
for the gnocchi:
- 1 kg starchy potatoes (the Danish name of the potato type is “bage kartofler”)
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- sea salt to taste
for the seasoning:
- 400 g of tomato puree
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- sea salt
- ∼300 gr mozzarella, sheredded
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- Take a look here to know how to make the potato gnocchi.
- TOMATO SAUCE
- On the medium heat put olive oil and garlic in a heavy skillet, let it sauté very gently, for about 2 minutes. Then pour tomato puree, ½ glass of water and salt, turn on the stove at low – medium heat. Cover with a lid and let simmer for approximately 15-20 min. All along the process, check if the sauce is too thick or is condensing onto the bottom. In this case, add a bit of water and stir. When it is read, remove the garlic and add the basil leaves.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When it is boiling, put a drop of oil in the water (in this way the grnocchi don’t stick), and the salt.
- Drop in the gnocchi and cook until they come to the surface. With a strainer skimmer drain them a little at the time. Put them in a big bowl and gently toss with the tomato sauce and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Switch on the grill in the oven.
- Use the individual oven-dishes (as the one in the picture), pour the gnocchi into them, top with mozzarella and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Place the dishes in the oven for few minutes, just until the top is melted and brown.
- Serve hot!
Looks tasty 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person