Frappe, Chiacchiere, Crostoli etc…. call these sweet Carnival fritters as you prefer, but follow our recipe which is the best in the world! And even if it’s Carnival, we are not kidding!
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 35g butter
- 1 small egg yolk
- 20g caster sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 75-80ml white wine
- 75-80ml grappa
- 1 ts baking powder
- vanilla powder to taste (or vanilla extract)
- oil to fry
- Pour out the flour onto a flat work surface. Make a hole in the center and add the other ingredients in the center, except for the wine and grappa. Gradually add them as you begin to knead the dough.
- Using your hands, or an electric mixer, knead the dough until it is smooth, then cover in plastic wrap, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Then divide the dough into pieces and roll out the dough using a rolling pin or pasta machine to a thinner setting. Use a knife or pasta cutter to cut out stripes (about 6x5cm), or whatever shape you prefer.
- Fry the dough in peanut oil. Once golden, remove the fritters using a slotted spoon and place them on parchment paper.
- Dust the fritters with icing sugar. The chiacchiere can be served immediately or stored for a couple of days.