Frappe, Chiacchiere, Crostoli etc…. call these sweet Carnival fritters as you prefer, but follow our recipe which is the best in the world! And even if it’s Carnival, we are not kidding!
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 35 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 20 g caster sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 90 ml white wine
- 90 ml grappa
- 1 ts baking powder
- vanilla powder to taste (or vanilla extract)
- oil to fry
- Pour out the flour onto a flat work surface. Make a hole in the center and add the other ingredients in the center, except for the wine and grappa. Gradually add the wine and grappa as you begin to knead the dough.
- Using your hands or an electric mixer, knead the dough until it is smooth, then cover in plastic wrap and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Then, divide the dough into pieces and roll out the dough using a rolling pin or pasta machine to a thinner setting. Use a knife or pasta cutter to cut out stripes (about 6×5 cm) or whatever shape you prefer.
- Fry the dough in peanut oil. Once golden, remove the fritters using a slotted spoon and place them on parchment paper.
- Dust the fritters with icing sugar. The chiacchiere can be served immediately or stored for a couple of days.