The almond trees and the olive trees are typical of the apulian landscape: strong and hardy plants, they grow easily in this mostly sunny land. The almonds, sweet and crunchy, are the principal ingredients of various types of desserts and biscuits, and also of refreshing drinks during summer.
At this time of the year people start preparing the dolcetti (the small cookies), to be offered, and enjoyed, during Christmas time… we show how to make one of our favourites: almond dolcetti. These are delicious little cakes, slightly crisp and cracked on the outside with a soft heart inside.
We advise you to pair them with a sip of dessert liquor like Limoncello, Vin Santo or Amaro.
This recipe is very quick and simple; you only need to be careful while baking, but follow our instructions and the result will be spectacular.
If you find yourself in Ostuni – the white city in Puglia, go to Dulcis in fundo to have a taste of the original dolcetti di mandorla.
Would like know more about Puglia? click here
🍷 Francesca & Marinella🍴
|SERVINGS: 20 biscuits|
|Preparation Time: 30 min||Cooking Time: 15 min|
|TOTAL TIME: |
- 400g flour of almonds without skin
- 180 g icing sugar
- zest of one biological lemon
- 2 egg whites
- coffee beans, candied fruits and almonds with skin for decoration
- If don’t find the almond’s flour, using a mixer, grind the almonds intermittently until flour. You can grind almonds and sugar, all together.
- Beat the egg whites with a fork. Mix the ground almonds, icing sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the beaten eggs and then using your fingers, knead until the dough is soft and sticky.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with a greaseproof paper (2 sheets); with your palms gently roll a quantity of dough like a walnut into a ball, then put it on the baking tray; continue to roll into a ball all of the dough. Alternatively you can make the biscuits by using a sac á poche.
- Let a bit of space between them, while cooking they swell a bit.
- In the middle of each ball make a pit with your finger and put one coffee bean, a piece of candied fruit or an almond on it.
- Bake at 150° for about 15 minutes or until they are gold on the top and little brown at the bottom (see the pics).
- Let it cool