You can prepare this Italian coffee granita iced dessert anytime, but we suggest to enjoy it during the summer, when your body deserves a bit of refreshment.
We all love granita that is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavourings. Originally from Sicily, the granita is available all over Italy in somewhat different forms. Common and traditional flavouring ingredients include lemon juice, mandarin, oranges, jasmine, coffee, almonds, mint, and when in season wild strawberries and black mulberries.
Granita with coffee and almonds are is very common in the East side of Sicily. You can taste a granita in combination with a yeast pastry called brioche, but every kind of sweet bread fits perfectly.
Tips: Bar da Alfredo, Salina, Sicily – for the best granita ever.
INGREDIENTS for 6 servings
- 400 g moka coffe or espresso coffee
- 200 g caster sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Put the sugar in a pan with 300 g water. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat.
- Prepare the moka coffee (or espresso coffee). Stir the syrup into the hot coffee and let it cool. Pour the mixture into a pan 20 cm x 30 cm (mixture should come about 2 cm up the side of the pan) and place in freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Once mixture is thoroughly frozen, fluff with a fork or a spoon and allow flakes to dry in freezer another half hour before serving.
- Serve the granite in a glass and top with whipped cream.